Introducing the Cascadia 4x4 VSS System™ for the Toyota 4runner (2003-present), the world's first vehicle specific hood-mounted solar panel system.
Note: For regular hood ONLY (non-hoodscoop)
- 90W of clean solar energy to keep your 4runner battery topped up when the engine isn't running.
- Rugged “Marine-Grade” construction to withstand extreme environmental conditions.
- Perfect for overlanding, camping, and the jobsite. Keep your drinks cold and equipment charged without killing your battery.
- Solar Made Simple: The optional “Plug-and-Play” complete kit includes everything you need for a clean and simple install.
- 2 year warranty.
Go Further, Stay Longer.
- Keep your 4Runner battery topped up at all times: Perfect for the overlander or camper who wants to power devices without worrying about draining their battery. Perfect on the jobsite for work lights and charging cordless tools.
- Extend the life of your battery: The Cascadia 4x4 VSS System™ will give you longer overall battery life by tending it constantly during periods of sun exposure.
- Emergency engine starting device: If you ever manage to completely drain your battery the VSS System™ will start the vehicle up again in as little as 30 minutes depending on sun exposure.
- Anti-glare device: Due to it's light absorbing properties the solar panel creates a surface with very low reflectivity across the hood of the vehicle.
- 90 watts of energy on the hood of your Toyota 4Runner from a solar panel that's only 3mm thick, meaning vehicle aerodynamics are not affected and the weight of the system is negligible.
- Durable marine-grade solar panel construction. The panel is made from 8 laminated layers consisting of a Dupont™ Tedlar® backsheet and high tech polymers allowing it to stand up to harsh environmental conditions like rain/snow/ice/mud/rocks/sticks etc. High durability makes this panel perfect for an off-road vehicle.
- Optional Plug-and-play MPPT solar charge controller. This waterproof unit mounts in the engine bay and is highly resistant to heat and vibration. It automatically controls how much electricity reaches the battery and prevents overcharging. The charge controller has been pre-wired with fuses, terminals, and connectors to take out all of the guesswork in setting up the VSS System™.
- The optional but highly recommended custom cut vinyl base sheet protects the underlying vehicle paint from damage.
- Factory-like appearance. The VSS System™ follows the contours and edges of the 4Runner's hood perfectly giving it a seamless and sleek aesthetic.
- We add strips of 3M neoprene foam to the base of each panel. This high density foam acts as a thermal barrier to protect your vehicle's paint from damage and also aid in solar panel cooling.
- Final assembly and quality control is done at our Canadian production facility to ensure that every VSS System™ functions perfectly. At Cascadia 4x4 we stand behind the quality of our products.
How does it mount?
Each panel comes with a full perimeter of pre-installed high temperature 3M VHB tape. We spend time sanding, cleaning and prepping each panel to make sure that the tape has a solid bond to the panel. This tape then mounts safely to your hood without damaging the paint.
We highly recommend that the Cascadia 4x4 VSS System™ is paired with our vehicle specific vinyl base sheet which sits under the solar panel. The vinyl mounts onto the hood of your vehicle in the same way that traditional hood vinyls or automotive vinyl stickers are applied. The vinyl acts as a moisture and debris barrier to protect the underlying paint.
Note: The VSS System™ takes 1.5 hrs to install and must be done in a dry environment between 18° and 35°C (64° and 95°F).
How does it mount?
Each panel comes with a full perimeter of pre-installed high temperature 3M VHB tape. We spend time sanding, cleaning and prepping each panel to make sure that the tape has a solid bond to the panel. This tape then mounts safely to your hood without damaging the paint. We highly recommend that the Cascadia 4x4 VSS System™ is paired with our vehicle specific vinyl base sheet which sits under the solar panel. The vinyl mounts onto the hood of your vehicle in the same way that traditional hood vinyls or automotive vinyl stickers are applied. The vinyl acts as a moisture and debris barrier to protect the underlying paint. Note: The VSS System™ takes 1.5 hrs to install and must be done in a dry environment between 18° and 35°C (64° and 95°F).
Will engine heat affect the VSS system?
This is the most commonly asked question about our VSS systems. It is a fact that solar cells lose efficiency as they warm up, however the simple answer is NO, engine heat will not have an effect on how our VSS system operates.
Why you ask? Well, the main benefit to the VSS system is that it provides power to your vehicle battery when the engine is NOT running (and therefore not hot). When the engine is running (and hot), the vehicles alternator is doing the majority of the charging not the solar panel. This means there is very little effect from the additional heat on the system when the system is used for it's intended benefits.
In order to help with heat build up, each VSS panel is prepped with closed cell neoprene on the back of the panel. This serves two purposes: it lifts the panel up off the hood creating an air pocket between the panel and the hood to allow for cooling, while also helping to protect the vehicle hood from any contact with the back of the panel.
Will the VSS system work with my battery?
The MPPT charge controller included in our complete kits is programmed to charge a wide variety of battery types. Our system will work with AGM, Lead-Acid and Gel Cell type batteries.
*we do not recommend the use of Optima batteries with the VSS systems.
Can it be removed?
Once installed the VSS system is not designed to be removed from the vehicle. The solar panel can be removed only if absolutely necessary. ie. the panel needs to be replaced.